Monday, April 13, 2015

THE JANE BIRKIN EFFECT.


Jane Birkin ... the look that french girls embraced and still hold on to

I'm getting the tiniest bit bored with my hair again. 
 Maybe it's because the sun's shining, or just because I feel the need to try something different, but I am ready to have some much needed inches off.

The winter weather, central heating etc, has played havoc with my naturally frizz prone wavy hair, coupled with ombre grown out highlights with ends that resemble straw, the time has definitely come.

But recently I felt the need for a bigger change.....For a fringe/bangs, whatever you call it, I can't get this idea out of my head (or hair) right now.

Now, this may not sound particularly drastic to you, but for me it conjures up haunting memories of the night before going back to school, sitting on the kitchen stool, with a scissor wielding Mum ready to 'cut' the hair out of my eyes, saying 'you will be able to see the blackboard so much better' dear? 
What was wrong with a hair clip, or alice band I will never know, and the inches were lopped off until a suitably loony fringe was cut to last the term!

So putting my childhood scars aside, and channeling the seventies and some french girl chic, a la Jane Birkin's famous fringe, the Pinterest pages have been scoured for some healing inspiration.



Bangs & Waves

Campaign | Edie Campbell And Beck By Hedi Slimane For Saint Laurent Paris | Spring 2013 | The Libertine

Mid-length hair with bangs

70s bob with bangs -- love it But I know I hate bangs on me.arg! So cute

freja....Everything about her! Hair, Makeup for brown eyes, skin...everything is ON POINT!

Medium Length layered beach wavy hair with long bangs, as seen in Free People

DIY: Sea Salt Spray / Blog / Need Supply Co.

Komono Stella Shades

Chambray button down and jeans, leather satchel- complete with straight-away bangs and messy bed hair... weekend is afoot.

coloring. orange eyes.

Navy peacoat on Jane Birkin. - I just LOVE this haircut - Fall 2012 for me:)

Boho is big this season and a fringe is a sure fire way to get an instant hair update for a cool seventies vibe.

 Are you thinking of a hair change right now? Would you consider a fringe? Let me know, and I'll let you know if I have been brave enough too....But, not with the kitchen scissors this time!

SHARE:

25 comments

  1. I have toyed with having a fringe many times recently but in truth it was a disaster the last time I took the plunge which was about 8 years ago. I found it really high maintenance and spent way too long faffing about trying to get it perfect all the time! I've found it much easier to have it all pretty much the same length so that on bad hair days I can stick in a ponytail! I am always tempted to go for it though.....all your gorgeous images don't help but my hairdresser knows me well and is under strict instruction to never do it, even if I beg! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Michelle this is what worries me too....I have just mastered the art of a quickish blowdry, and dont need to wrestle with an unruly fringe in the mornings!...I saw in Sue's http://susiesoso.blogspot.co.uk/ comments to be wary if you have a cow lick (such a strange name!) which I do. Your hair always looks so lovely, and I love to tie mine up too sometimes...So still pondering should I or not?...Life's big decisions eh!!? Helen xx

      Delete
  2. I've had a fringe for most of my 49 years and would feel quite exposed without it now! I do wish my hair would look tousled like your examples, but it just looks messy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Im sure it doesn't! You have obviously found a style that suits you, and I am envious when people can stick to one look and not chop and change all the time....I went from blonde to dark last year, much to my OH horror, kept it for a few weeks then went to my current ombre colour, which at the mo I am happy with once it's trimmed! Have you tried the Morrocan oils on your hair, I find that gives a lovely slighty tousled by smooth look to my frizz prone hair? Helen xx

      Delete
  3. I've always had a fringe and I also suffered at the hands of my sister who used to do the dreaded hair cut on me. Which is why I still hate going to the hair dressers - I don't find it relaxing and I nearly always wash my hair as soon as I get home so I don't look so "coiffed". And I am very precious about how much can be chopped off it. Too much and I go and find another hairdresser! I personally couldn't live without my fringe - it's my "protection" - it's what I hide behind. I think the other thing to bear in mind is will your hair sit naturally in a fringe? I was talking to my hairdresser about people who ask for hairstyles that won't actually work on their hair type and she said she often asks for fringes from people who have cowlicks and the fringes won't sit flat. Just something to bear in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so many people who hate the hairdressers, almost prefering the dentist!! You have the most gorgeous hair, and I think your bob is like your trademark....Although we have never met, I couldnt imagine you Sue with another style! I do have one of those horrible cowlicks at the front, so thanks for the tips....I might just get a few more hats this summer instead of a fringe?!!Helen xx

      Delete
  4. Your childhood experiences with the scissors made my smile, I have similar memories. I have always worn a fringe and would never be without a fringe.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue scarred for life! Could of been worse at least it wasn't with a pudding bowl! I love your fringe on you Sue, are you never tempted to do anything drastic, or is it just me that has kamikaze hair moments?!! Helen xx

      Delete
  5. I have to have a bit of a fringe Helen (I usually trim it myself!) - it distracts me from my enormous nose! I absolutely love these looks and if I had enough hair on my head it's what I'd go for. If you have the hair just go for it - it'll grow out if you don't like it! ;) I'm having mine cut shorter, I want it to look like a 70s middle(ish) parted boys cut - that sounds gross doesn't it but I know what I mean! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave you Jenny, I do trim the odd split end though too! Yep, you are right it will always grow back and it is only hair after all! Can't quite work out what style you are after, love to see some pic ideas?!! Helen xx

      Delete
  6. Go for it Helen, I love my fringe as it hides a multitude of sins ;-) & if you go for a long one, if you're not keen it will be long enough to wear to the side whilst it grows out.
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice Jane, I did think it would be good alternative to botox.....and also looking slightly mysterious looking out behind a fringe, I thought might be a good look too, or maybe not!! Jane your hair always looks immaculate, and your fringe suits you perfectly! Helen xx

      Delete
  7. I love full fringes - it looks so nice. I've had one in the past and I'm always thinking 'should I get it back?' haha
    Alex // www.prettythoughtsx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love a fringe hair!

    http://finddyourway.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love a fringe but sadly I've been afflicted by a cow's lick & natural side parting! Sob! Sob! Do it for me! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi dear and thanks for following my blog on Bloglovin. I follow you immediately too!!
    Kisses,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Jane Birkins look, also Francoise Hardy! Really cool inspirations, if I ever go back to a normal colour that s definitely a good idea :) xx

    dresses-and-travels //@susandollparts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all these hair pics and I say go for it if you have the right hair texture! Hair grows so fast and getting a fresh look for spring is always a good idea, be brave ;-)

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am all about the fringe....go for it you can always wear a hat if you hate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Total fringe envy here - you have to do it! Just love the tousled, uneven look...so summery and effortless. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know how you feel. I felt like this a long while ago and cut a fringe in, but then I regretted it and grew it out. Now I want to cut my really long hair short, ha ha. I think whatever you go for will look great if you wear it with confidence!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  16. GO FOR IT! I have a really strong cows lick so can't have a fringe - wish I did because it would hide the wrinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love this effortless vibe of this haircut!

    Laiyin || THESTYLECIRCUS.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that look Helen...think my hair will never be long again though...enjoy your week:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig